Chassis Number Insurance
Need to Insure a Car on Its Chassis Number? We Can Help.
- Temporary chassis number insurance cover
- Great value policies for imported cars
- Policies for convicted drivers
All vehicles that are driven on UK roads need to be insured. However, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) won’t register a car unless it’s insured, and it can be difficult to get car insurance for an unregistered vehicle, which can leave owners in a chicken-and-egg situation! The solution is temporary chassis number insurance (also known as VIN number insurance).
In these circumstances, the vehicle will need to be insured with its Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), or chassis number, in the interim period, before it is formally registered with the DVLA. At Complete Cover Group, we work with a range of specialist insurance companies that offer affordable chassis number cover for imported cars.
What does the chassis / VIN number look like?
The VIN number is a unique number that every car, wherever in the world it is manufactured, has stamped somewhere on its chassis, and it consists of 17 digits (a combination of digits and capital letters). All global vehicle registration authorities have a database of these and can use them to identify vehicles.
You’ll usually find the chassis (or VIN) number in one of two places:
- Near the corner of the dashboard where it meets the windscreen (on the driver’s side of the car)
- On the driver’s side door where the door latches when it is closed.
Why might you need temporary chassis number insurance?
There are a number of reasons why you may need to insure a vehicle on its chassis number rather than its registration plate.
- It’s becoming increasingly common for people to import a car from outside the UK, especially the USA and Japan, as vehicles can often be cheaper and of a higher specification.
- If you move back to the UK from abroad, whether you’ve been travelling or working, and you wish to bring your own car with you, it won’t be registered in the UK with the DVLA. This can leave drivers in an impossible situation when it comes to getting a car insurance policy.
- If you’re building your own component car, you will find yourself in a similar situation.
Insurance to drive to the IVA inspection
As well as registering your car with its chassis number, you may also be required to have the car inspected to ensure it is roadworthy and meets UK emissions standards. This is called an Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) inspection. It can take the form of a simple visual check or a more detailed mechanical check, depending on the car’s background, and there is generally a cost involved.
Remember that, once the vehicle has been registered and insured on its chassis number, you can only drive it for the purposes of gaining its full UK registration, for example to attend an approved centre to obtain an IVA, until the registration is complete.
Complete Cover Group Can Help With Specialist Chassis Number Insurance
Our UK-based team of experienced advisers is at the end of the phone and can help guide you through the process of finding chassis insurance, making it as simple and straightforward as possible.
Of course, once your car is registered with the DVLA, we can also help you to find the right policy for it, particularly as we also specialise in imported car insurance.
Call our expert team for a quote on 0800 997 8232
Alongside your insurance policy, we can offer products such as breakdown and personal accident cover.
Select Additional Products
To make sure that all of our customers experience the same level of claims service, regardless of the insurer they choose, we sell Motor Legal Cover with all car policies.
Motor Legal Cover provides up to £100,000 for legal expenses to help you recover any financial losses from a non-fault claim, such as lawyers’ fees, expenses relating to repair costs and recovering your excess. You’ll also get assistance arranging a courtesy car if you’re involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault.
Whether you use your car for work, the school run, family holidays or business trips abroad, we offer a range of breakdown policies to suit your budget and needs. Our breakdown cover also protects vehicles up to 20 years old!
Check the table below to see which level of cover is best for you:
|Benefits||Roadside Assistance||Motor Assistance
UK & EU
|Roadside Assistance – 10 Mile Limit|
|Roadside Assistance & Nationwide recover Service|
|Alternative Travel or Accommodation|
Call us on 0800 997 8232 to add this to your cover.
Excess Recovery will refund all or part of your excess in the event of a claim for an accident, a theft or fire, or an incident where there is no third party to claim from.
Adding just £36.95 to your policy, for example, would mean a reimbursement of £350 of your excess, which in many cases could mean you lose nothing at all! See below to choose the best option for you:
|TPF&T or Comprehensive|
Call us on 0800 997 8232 to add this to your cover.
With most comprehensive policies providing only a limited amount of personal accident cover, and third party, fire and theft policies rarely providing any at all, Personal Accident cover is a cost effective way to ensure that you and your passengers are provided for in the event of a death or serious injury.
Key benefits include:
- Payments of up to £25,000 EACH for the policy holder, named drivers and any passengers injured.
- Payments are made whether the claim is fault or non-fault.
- Cover is provided whilst travelling in, getting into and getting out of the insured vehicle, as well as injuries suffered as a result of assault or road rage.
- Payments will be made in addition to any other payout you receive from your motor insurance policy.
Only £29.95 for the year. Call us on 0800 997 8232 to add this to your cover.
Make sure you’re not stuck if your car is off the road after an accident or theft.
Your insurance company may provide you with a courtesy car if an accident wasn’t your fault, but if you have a fault claim or an accident where there is no third party to claim from, you are unlikely to be provided with a replacement car.
With Replacement Car you’ll be provided with a car for up to 21 days or money towards transportation costs, regardless of whether the claim was your fault or not
Only £32.95 for the year. Call us on 0800 997 8232 to add this to your cover.
Do you want windscreen protection without the cost of upgrading to comprehensive cover?
This stand-alone windscreen cover policy provides protection against the kind of damages that can make your car unsafe to drive or cause you to fail your MOT. The kind of loses you won’t be covered for if you’ve chosen to buy a third party only or a third party, fire and theft policy.
Windscreen Cover provides up to £500 worth of repair or replacement costs in a 12 month period.
Only £37.95 for the year. Call us on 0800 997 8232 to add this to your cover.
The cost of replacing lost, stolen or damaged gadgets can quickly mount up, so at £41.95 for the year Gadget Cover could be the most cost effective way to protect your valuable electronics. Cover includes protection for a wide range of electrical items including mobile phones, iPhones, sat navs, laptops, tablets, iPads, iPods, cameras, camcorders, and Kindles.
Benefits of Gadget Cover
- Protects your valuables inside or outside your vehicle, meaning you can claim for gadgets without having to pay your car insurance excess or risk losing your no claims bonus.
- You can avoid claiming for lost, stolen or damaged gadgets on your household contents insurance, meaning you won’t pay a large household policy excess.
- Could save you the cost of a separate mobile phone insurance policy!
Only £41.95 for the year. Call us on 0800 997 8232 to add this to your cover.
Protect yourself against the costs that come with losing your keys.
Key Care covers costs incurred through the loss or theft of vehicle keys, including locksmith charges, new keys, car hire costs and reprogramming immobilisers.
Only £17.95 for the year. Call us on 0800 997 8232 to add this to your cover.